What is ductal lavage?

Ductal lavage stratifies risk among patients at high-risk for developing breast cancer. At present, tumors that begin in the milk duct are not typically discovered until they can be seen on a mammogram or sonogram. With ductal lavage, fluid is painlessly withdrawn from the milk ducts and examined by pathologists for abnormal or suspicious cells. Depending on the results of this analysis, a patient might be put on a high-risk monitoring program.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Prevention

The Leafy Green That's Great for Breasts
Here's a peppery green that may do big favors for breast health: watercress. A favorite addition to afternoon tea sandwiches, watercress should make ...
What foods reduce breast cancer risk?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Lifestyle choices can help reduce breast cancer risk, and a healthy diet is one of the factors y...
Are mammograms overrated for detecting breast cancer?
Although the mammogram is currently the best screening test for breast cancer, it is not perfect. Ma...
What Can I Do to Help Prevent Breast Cancer?