How can I perform a self-exam of my breasts during a shower?

Susanne M. Chow, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
While in the shower your fingers can move more smoothly over the wet soapy skin. This makes it easier to use the pads of your fingers and move in a circular pattern around the entire breast and armpit area, moving from the outside to the center of the breast.

Although a breast self-exam (BSE) can be performed in the shower, it is more effectively performed when a woman is lying down with her arm stretched out.

This flattens the breast and makes it easier to detect lumps or other changes. To do the exam properly takes time and concentration. When the exam is done in the shower it is often rushed (must get it done before the hot water runs out).

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Prevention

Eat This to Reduce Breast Cancer Risk
Eat This to Reduce Breast Cancer Risk
Considering the blood sugar, cholesterol, digestive and appetite-controlling effects of fiber, who wouldn't sing its praises? Well, get ready to hum a...
Do I need a mammogram every year?
Kathleen V. Greatrex, MDKathleen V. Greatrex, MD
Sometimes mammograms are recommended every year, less frequently or not at all. Some experts are ...
How can breast cancer be prevented in women with risk factors?
If there is a family history or other risk factors for breast cancer, women should screen in their 4...
How Can I Lower My Risk of Breast Cancer?