How can I limit my intake of meat to reduce breast cancer recurrence risk?

Alice Pereira, RD
Do the following to limit intake of red meat and avoid processed meat -- you will reduce your breast cancer recurrence risk and gain other health benefits in your diet:
  • Vary your protein food choices by adding legumes, such as beans, lentils and chickpeas, which are a great source of fiber and naturally low in fat.
  • Include lean meats such as chicken breast, turkey and fish. A sensible serving portion is 3 to 4 ounces, which is about the size of a deck of cards.
  • Limit consumption of red meats.
  • Good choices of fish are Alaskan salmon, herring, sardines, black cod (sablefish) and tuna. These are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for the immune system and heart.
  • Eat processed meats sparingly since they contain nitrates, which contribute to carcinogens. Nitrates or nitrites are used in smoked, salted or pickled foods.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Prevention

Eat This to Reduce Breast Cancer Risk
Eat This to Reduce Breast Cancer Risk
Considering the blood sugar, cholesterol, digestive and appetite-controlling effects of fiber, who wouldn't sing its praises? Well, get ready to hum a...
What lifestyle changes can I make to prevent breast cancer?
There is no known way to prevent breast cancer. But you have a much better prognosis if you can find...
Should I have a mastectomy if breast cancer is in my family?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
The answer to this question is quite complex. To get a good answer you need to talk to your physicia...
What’s Keeping Targeted, Personalized Medicine from Being Successful?