What are the drawbacks to digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT)?

Digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT) has a few minor drawbacks:
  • The approved indications for DBT state that it must be used as an adjunct to standard digital mammography. This means that the radiation dose for women having DBT is slightly higher than it would be with standard digital mammography. Even with the addition of DBT, however, the dose remains lower than the maximum allowed with older, analog mammography.
  • Because DBT is a new platform, techniques for best use are still evolving.
  • To date, no substantial trials of 3-D tomosynthesis have been performed in the U.S., though a large trial is currently being planned. A large-scale population-based study is ongoing in Europe. These trials are very hard to do and must involve many thousands of women to show a significant benefit in cancer detection of tomosynthesis over routine mammography.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

What happens during a breast cancer biopsy?
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)
During a biopsy, your doctor removes cells from the breast and a pathologist inspects the cells unde...
What are the benefits of digital breast tomosynthesis (3D mammography)?
TriStar Centennial Medical CenterTriStar Centennial Medical Center
Tomosynthesis is a new type of mammogram that yields three-dimensional images. The camera moves in a...
What do the margin results tell me about my breast cancer?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
The term “margins” means the edges of a tissue sample. The pathology report will tell whether or not...
Why is it important to know the medical name of my breast cancer?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
You will want to name this beast even if the name doesn’t mean much to you right now. Ask for the me...