What can I do if I have a BRCA mutation?

The lifetime risk of developing certain types of cancer is greatly increased for women and men who inherit a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation. Men and women can learn if they have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation by getting evaluated.

Knowing about the presence of a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation can be lifesaving. There are many interventions that can increase the chance for early diagnosis and/or lower the chances for developing cancer.

Men and women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation may do the following:

• Choose to start screening for breast cancer at age 25
  • Receive specialized breast screening that includes regular mammography and breast MRI
  • Participate in screening studies that offer cutting-edge technologies
  • Be screened for ovarian cancer
  • Choose to have ovaries or healthy breast tissue removed to reduce risk of developing cancer
  • Be candidates for other specialized types of enhanced screening
  • Receive personalized medical recommendations for overall health

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

How are lymph nodes described in breast cancer pathology reports?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
In the tumor, lymph nodes, metastasis (TNM) staging system, medical experts use the letter N followe...
Why should I get genetic testing if I know I'm at risk for breast cancer?
Shelly WeissShelly Weiss
Genetic testing can assist individuals in further clarifying their risk of both breast and ovari...
How is a large core breast biopsy performed?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
During a large core breast biopsy, a specially designed stereotactic mammographic unit provides ...
What should I ask my doctor if I find a lump in my breast?
Here are some important questions to ask your healthcare professional if you find a lump in your bre...