What should I ask my doctor if I find a lump in my breast?

Here are some important questions to ask your healthcare professional if you find a lump in your breast:
  • What tests are needed to find out if the lump is cancerous?
  • In addition to a physical exam of my breasts, will you check the lymph nodes in my armpits and neck?
  • Should I get a mammogram?
  • Will I need magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or an ultrasound?
  • Will I need a biopsy?
  • What does a biopsy involve?
  • How long will it take to get the results?
  • How will I obtain the results?
  • If the tests are negative but the lump is still there, what are the next steps?
  • If the tests are clear and the lump goes away, how often should I follow up with you?  

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Why can’t a breast exam detect ductal carcinoma in situ?
Because ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) doesn't necessarily cause a lump it is difficult to detect d...
Are there any additional risks in 3D mammography?
Jamie L. Caughran, MDJamie L. Caughran, MD
Overall exposure to radiation from a mammogram is very minimal, especially when compared to the bene...
Is Hormone Therapy Effective for Breast Cancer?
What Should I Do If I Have Dense Breasts?