What should be my first step after I am diagnosed with breast cancer?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
After being diagnosed with breast cancer, the first step would be to find a general surgeon specialist that can perform the appropriate surgical excision. Depending upon the type of cancer, stage, and grade of the tumor, either a lumpectomy, mastectomy, with possible lymph nodal dissection may be performed. Also, an oncologist will be needed to follow the patient for possible chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Administration

Once you have been told that you have breast cancer or might have breast cancer, you will be referred to a surgeon. There are many doctors who perform breast cancer surgery, but most do not specialize in breast cancer. They may just do a handful a year. You should look for a breast surgeon who specializes in breast cancer.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Beyond a breast exam or mammogram, there are various tests and methods for doctors to diagnose and track progress of breast cancer. The process involves imaging and lab tests, including ultrasounds, MRIs, a breast biopsy and even ...

bones scans to locate tumors and stage the cancer. A medical oncologist or breast surgeon help explain a breast cancer diagnosis and provide treatment options. Learn more about diagnosing breast cancer with expert advice from Sharecare.