Should I get genetic testing for breast cancer if I am a man?

Shelly Weiss
Clinical Genetics
Men as well as women can carry breast cancer predisposing genetic mutations. Men with BRCA mutations face an elevated risk of breast cancer (5-7%). When investigating your family's medical history, you should never ignore a diagnosis of breast cancer in a male relative, or your father's (paternal) side of the family.

All male breast cancer is not genetic. Genetics may be considered a risk factor, but it doesn’t mean that breast cancer is definitely due to genetic causes. Following a diagnosis of male breast cancer, individuals should consider genetic counseling to  map out the family tree, and discuss the possibility of genetic testing.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Can I have more than one type of breast cancer?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
The types of breast cancers are categorized according to how they look under the microscope. Many br...
What is an intraductal endoscopy?
Sheldon Feldman, MDSheldon Feldman, MD
The development of intraductal approaches to diagnosis and treatment represents one of the most impo...
What Should I Do If I Have Dense Breasts?
Lowering Breast Cancer Risk and Improving Treatment