Can a PET scan help detect breast cancer spread?

For a PET scan, glucose (a form of sugar) that contains a radioactive atom is injected into the bloodstream. Because cancer cells in the body are growing rapidly, they absorb large amounts of the radioactive sugar. After about an hour, a special camera is used to create a picture of areas of radioactivity in the body.

A PET scan is useful when your doctor thinks the cancer may have spread but doesn't know where. The picture is not finely detailed like a CT or MRI scan, but it provides helpful information about your whole body. Some newer machines are able to do both a PET and CT scan at the same time (PET/CT scan). This allows the radiologist to compare areas of higher radioactivity on the PET with the appearance of that area on the CT.

So far, most studies show it isn't very helpful in most cases of breast cancer, although it may be used when the cancer is known to have spread

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

How should I take care of my breast catheter site?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
The following steps should be taken each day to care for your breast catheter site: Wash and dry...
What are the ways breast cancer may be found and diagnosed?
Breast cancer affects about one out of eight women in America. Watch as Dr. Oz discusses breast canc...
Does Breast Cancer Screening Have Value?
How One Woman’s Dog Discovered Her Cancer