How is a very small breast tumor detected?

The traditional way of finding a tumor during surgery is a wire localization. If the tumor is small or noninvasive, the radiologist localizes the biopsy marker with a wire, which stays in the breast and acts as a roadmap for surgery to find and remove the tumor. Newer technology includes radiolabeled seed activation and infrared technology to place markers next to the biopsy marker.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Do I still need a regular mammogram if I've had breast tomosynthesis?
Kathleen V. Greatrex, MDKathleen V. Greatrex, MD
Breast tomosynthesis is probably not going to replace the regular 2D mammogram, but it’s going to be...
What is tubular carcinoma breast cancer?
Tubular carcinoma is characterized by tubular structures ringed with a single layer of cells. Only 2...
Dr. Tom Ortmeier - Diagnosing Cancer
Dr. Tom Ortmeier - Diagnosing Cancer
Does Breast Cancer Screening Have Value?