How is a very small breast tumor detected?

The traditional way of finding a tumor during surgery is a wire localization. If the tumor is small or noninvasive, the radiologist localizes the biopsy marker with a wire, which stays in the breast and acts as a roadmap for surgery to find and remove the tumor. Newer technology includes radiolabeled seed activation and infrared technology to place markers next to the biopsy marker.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Why should breast cancer be detected early?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
Early detection of breast cancer offers more treatment options and a stronger chance of disease surv...
What should I do if I find a lump in my breast?
William W. Li, MDWilliam W. Li, MD
If you find a lump in your breast, you should act immediately by calling your doctor to get a proper...
Dr. Tom Ortmeier - Diagnosing Cancer
Dr. Tom Ortmeier - Diagnosing Cancer
Lowering Breast Cancer Risk and Improving Treatment