How should I take care of my breast catheter site?

The following steps should be taken each day to care for your breast catheter site:
  • Wash and dry your hands before starting.
  • Remove the old dressing from around the catheter.
  • Pinch the wings of the ChloraPrep swab to release the liquid.
  • Swab the skin around the catheter with the moist swab in a circular movement, starting at the catheter site and moving outward.
  • Place two to four drain sponges around the catheter.
  • Use one cover sponge to cover drain sponges and the other cover sponge to pad the end caps. You should not remove any of the caps.
  • Cover the sponges and catheter ends with the ABD pad.
  • Secure the dressings with a bra. Avoid taping the dressings in place.
  • Sponge bathe only, since you do not want to get this dressing wet.

Continue Learning about Breast Cancer Diagnosis

What can a woman do to detect breast cancer?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
A woman can be an active participant in improving her chances for early detection of breast cancer. ...
What happens during a breast cancer biopsy?
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)
During a biopsy, your doctor removes cells from the breast and a pathologist inspects the cells unde...
Are There Future Breast Cancer Therapies with Potential?
Does Breast Cancer Screening Have Value?