How do I know which type of breast implant is better for me?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
According to the FDA, silicone and saline implants are now legally usable in the United States of America for elective surgery. Patients must be 22 years of age or older to undergo silicone augmentation. Saline implants can be placed in patients 18 years of age and older. In general, titrating volume with saline implants asymmetries may be easier, however negatives include visibility, rippling, and palpability of the lateral bag edge, it may also be more of an unnatural appearance with saline implants with upper pole fullness. Silicone implants appear more natural, have a softer feel, and have reduced visibility and palpability along the sides of the breast.

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

What are the benefits of saline breast implants?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
In general, saline implants seem to have fewer risks associated with them than silicone implants...
How can I avoid getting a rippled look when I have my breasts done?
Patients who have thin, ectomorphic or minimal amounts of breast tissue normally do well with silico...
What Are the Long-Term Effects of Breast Augmentation Surgery?
How Can I Prepare Myself for Breast Augmentation Surgery?