What is a breast tissue expander?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
A breast tissue expander is often used to expand the skin of the breast to allow for a future permanent implant placement. After a mastectomy for breast cancer, it may be necessary to expand the breast with a temporary implant that has saline fluid injected into it over 6 to 8 weeks. Each week will allow for a larger pocket by stretching of the overlying tissue and finally a permanent silicone gel implant exchanged. 
Heather L. Karu, MD
Plastic Surgery
A breast expander is a necessary part of a breast reconstruction involving implants. In this video, Dr. Heather Karu talks about how the expander is used and how it solves problems.

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

How is bottoming out of breast implants corrected?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
"Bottoming out" simply means that there is sagging of the skin, and the implant falls with gravi...
How much recovery time will I need after breast augmentation?
Recovery time is specifically determined by the type of work that a woman does. In my practice, ...
Will Insurance Cover Any Part of Breast Augmentation Surgery Costs?
What Are the Long-Term Effects of Breast Augmentation Surgery?