How can I have breast implants without any scars?

Tara Whitworth
Nursing
Unfortunately, if you have breast implant surgery, you are going to have a scar. There are some things you can do to minimize the appearance of your scar. Once the wound has healed, you can use over the counter scar creams. Massaging the scar will also help. Also, do not expose your scar to sunlight for at least one year after surgery.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Performing breast augmentation requires a portal of entry which will of course be a scar. Scars can be minimized by placing implants in well hidden areas such as the periareolar approach around the melanin pigmented area of the areola. Reports of scarless breast augmentation usually associated with transumbilical augmentation mammoplasty, in other words placing implants through the bellybutton can lead to unpredictable placement of implants and severe malposition, as well as multiple other problems. I personally do not believe that this approach is safe and do not warrant transumbilical implant placement in order to hide a scar or minimize scaring.

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

What are the risks associated with breast augmentation surgery?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Breast augmentation has the standard risks of infection and bleeding. Infection is rare but when...
How effective is breast implant surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Breast implant surgery is very effective for enhancing a women's breast size. The advantages include...
What Is a Breast Expander?
What Is a Breast Expander?
What Should I Expect When Recovering From Breast Augmentation Surgery?