Can teens get breast implants?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Legally, cosmetic breast augmentations cannot be performed in teenagers. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves saline implants only in women older than 18, and gel implants in women older than 22. Since breast growth is often not complete until that age, medically it is inappropriate under age 18. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) advises its members not to perform breast augmentations in younger teenagers except in cases of severe asymmetry. The ASPS and most plastic surgeons and psychologists feel that women are not emotionally ready to make such important decisions until age 18.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

How are breast implants inserted?
Erik A. Hoy, MDErik A. Hoy, MD
The possibilities for access to insert breast implants depend upon the type and size of implant to b...
Will insurance cover any part of breast augmentation surgery costs?
Erik A. Hoy, MDErik A. Hoy, MD
Breast implants are considered part of a cosmetic procedure, and is usually not covered by health in...
What Is a Breast Expander?
What Is a Breast Expander?
How Can I Prepare Myself for Breast Augmentation Surgery?