What are the benefits of saline breast implants?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
In general, saline implants seem to have fewer risks associated with them than silicone implants. With saline implants, we are able to change or fill volumes of the bags; this offers more flexibility for women who have significant asymmetry. You can adjust the volumes to even out the breasts and make them more symmetrical. Though saline implants may rupture, the patient will know within a few weeks that her implant is deflated. Fluid from a saline implant is quite safe. It is usually normal saline solution, which will be absorbed into the body, and the patient will just eliminate it through natural body functions. Should this happen to you, it is important to have the implant replaced sooner, rather than later. The longer you wait the greater your chance for additional scar tissue forming around the bag, requiring surgical intervention to restore a normal appearance to that breast.
The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

What factors should I consider before having breast augmentation?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Thinking of having surgery to enlarge your breasts? Learn whether it could make sense for you in thi...
What are the risks of getting breast implants after breast cancer?
Nathaniel L. Holzman, MDNathaniel L. Holzman, MD
The risks of getting breast implants after breast cancer typically include failure of the implant, i...
How Can I Prepare Myself for Breast Augmentation Surgery?
Will Insurance Cover Any Part of Breast Augmentation Surgery Costs?