Why are breast implants a good option for women following cancer treatment?

Tara Whitworth
Nursing
Breast implants can be a good option for women following cancer. A tissue expander is inserted at the time of mastectomy and gradually filled with saline over a length of time in order to gradually stretch the skin and muscle. Once the desired size is achieved, the tissue expander is removed and replaced with a permanent implant.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Breast implants may be useful for women following mastectomies, however, those who have had radiation should consider possibly having autologous breast tissue, that is, tissue taken as flap tissue brought directly into the mastectomy site, or free flap tissue transfer with increased blood supply. Breast implants are useful for reconstructing the breast, however, symmetry may not be exact unless implants are placed on the contralateral unaffected side.

Continue Learning about Breast Augmentation

Can I have a breast implant if one breast is bigger than the other?
Generally, slight differences in a woman's breasts are of no concern. If the differences are greater...
What is the difference between shaped and round breast implants?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Imaging studies of the chest have shown that both shaped (anatomical) and round breast implants ...
How Can I Prepare Myself for Breast Augmentation Surgery?
What Are the Long-Term Effects of Breast Augmentation Surgery?