What is the amygdala?

The amygdala is the part of the brain that deals with emotion. The time when you experience a trigger event and the response comes from the amygdala can be as short as a quarter of a second.

At the same time, however, blood flow is increasing to the frontal lobe, specifically to the part of the brain that is over the left eye.

That area controls reasoning and most likely is what is keeping you from hurling a vase across the room.

These areas tend to balance each other out quickly. Some research shows the neurological response to anger lasts less than two seconds. That may be why people advise counting to 10 when you are angry.

Continue Learning about Brain Health

How Do You Define the Mind?
How Do You Define the Mind?
How Does the Scientific Community View Brain Fitness Games?
Should I Include Eggs in a Healthy Diet?
How Is the Brain Related to the Mind?
How Is the Brain Related to the Mind?