How does teaching help the brain?

In life, we have all kinds of teachers—first-grade teachers, basketball coaches, ballet instructors. While they may have been responsible for teaching us how to read, how to shoot a ball, or how to do the perfect plié, they also taught us perhaps one of the most important lessons about aging: Teaching can save your brain. You're far more likely to retain information if you have to explain it to somebody else. The degree to which you can effectively explain information indicates how well you've actually learned it.

The lesson: Take advantage of mentoring opportunities, whether it's instructing a class in your favorite hobby at a community college or inviting the neighborhood teens over to teach them how to change a tire or make a soufflé. Teach the next generation, and you'll power up your own generator.

Continue Learning about Brain Health

Is it Possible That High Fat and High Sugar Diets Can Impair Our Ability to Think?
What Audiences Are Engaging the Most in Brain Health Applications?
Why Is Protein Important for My Brain?
Why Is Protein Important for My Brain?
What Is the Future of Brain Health?
What Is the Future of Brain Health?