How does a baby's brain develop?

Very early in pregnancy (as in earlier than 30 days), the neural plate - that's a flat-type structure that will become the brain and spinal cord - forms a groove and rolls up into a tube that runs the length of the entire embryo. One end of the tunnel starts to swell; this is where the brain will form. The rest of the tube becomes the spinal cord.

By eight weeks, as the spinal-cord part of the tube is fused together, we can already see three distinct parts of the brain - the fore brain, mid brain, and hind brain. All of this swelling has started to form the basis of some of the neurological structures that you may have already heard of - things like the medulla, the basal ganglia, the thalamus, and the cerebral cortex.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Brain Health

Benefits of Learning a New Language
Benefits of Learning a New Language
We all know a few words in a foreign language -- and more than 43% of Americans ages 18 to 29 can have a conversation in at least two languages -- but...
How does blood get to the brain?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Blood delivers fuel and nourishment to the brain through a complex system of blood vessels that reac...
4 Foods Your Brain Will Love
4 Foods Your Brain Will Love4 Foods Your Brain Will Love4 Foods Your Brain Will Love4 Foods Your Brain Will Love
Nourish your noggin for stronger brainpower.
What Is Our Current Understanding of the Brain and How Did We Get Here?