What are the symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)?

Symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome vary, depending on what is being compressed. If nerves are being compressed, you will probably feel pain and tingling that starts in the neck and shoulder and spreads into the hand on the affected side. If a vein or artery is being compressed, this hampers the oxygen supply and may cause a bluish discoloration or lack of color in the affected hand. Pressure on a vein or artery also causes pain and swelling in the affected arm.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

3 Quick, Easy Ways to Boost Your Brain Health
Whether your days are less mentally demanding now that you’re retired, or you’re so busy you don’t even have time for sudoku, everyone can benefit fro...
When will I know if my child gets hydrocephalus after a hemispherectomy?
Dr. Aria Fallah, MDDr. Aria Fallah, MD
Usually, about half the time you'll know right away if your child gets hydrocephalus after a hemisph...
What is syncope?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Syncope (pronounced "sin-ko-pea") is the medical term for fainting. Syncope is a sudden and transien...
How Advanced Is Stem Cell Research for Parkinson's?