What are the symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)?

Symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome vary, depending on what is being compressed. If nerves are being compressed, you will probably feel pain and tingling that starts in the neck and shoulder and spreads into the hand on the affected side. If a vein or artery is being compressed, this hampers the oxygen supply and may cause a bluish discoloration or lack of color in the affected hand. Pressure on a vein or artery also causes pain and swelling in the affected arm.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

The Surprising Latest Study on Alcohol and Your Brain
You might drink a glass of wine each night for your heart and you wouldn’t be alone—many doctors would probably join you. For years, studies have sugg...
Does breathing in helium really cause brain damage?
Inhaling helium does not cause brain damage. Watch this video as Dr. Oz and Science Bob bust thi...
Is it possible to use our brains to control a computer?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
It may sound futuristic, but in a recent study, patients were able to control a computer using their...
What Is a Good Seated Stretch for My Back?