What is mad cow disease?

Mad cow disease is also called bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE. It destroys the brains and nervous system of cows, and gets progressively worse over time. The cause of the disease is not well understood, but scientists believe it occurs when a normal protein, called a "prion," changes and becomes harmful to the animal. The human form of this disease is called variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD). Scientists believe people may get vCJD after eating beef from cattle who were infected with BSE. This disease may also be spread from person to person through transplants and blood transfusions, or other rare situations where infected blood or tissue enters the skin or body. Other types of CJD, not related to mad cow disease, can also occur in humans. Symptoms of CJD in people include dementia (memory loss, confusion, mood changes) and nerve-related symptoms, such as nerve pain or a burning sensation. There is no cure for this disease, so treatment is usually aimed at keeping people as comfortable as possible as the disease progresses.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

Could You Have a Concussion and Not Know It?
A July 2017 study in JAMA of the brains of 202 deceased football players, from high school players to pros, found evidence of chronic traumatic enceph...
How do low-glycemic vegetables protect and promote brain health?
Dr. David Perlmutter, MDDr. David Perlmutter, MD
Low-glycemic vegetables, which grow above ground, protect and promote brain health because they are ...
What should I do if my steroid shot might have contained a fungus?
Patients who feel ill and are concerned about whether they received a medication from one of the New...
What Is a Good Seated Stretch for My Back?