What is the cauda equina syndrome?

The cauda equina is a bundle of nerves at the lower end of your spine. If it becomes pinched (compressed) between the discs of the spine or other tissues (such as a tumor), it causes a medical emergency called cauda equina syndrome. The main symptoms of cauda equina syndrome are low back pain, loss of urinary or bowel control, and loss of feeling and control in the saddle area, inner thighs and back of legs. While this condition is fairly rare, the risk is higher in people who have had back problems stemming from trauma to the spine due to a fall or car accident, arthritis (ankylosing spondylitis), spinal stenosis, or spina bifida. Cauda equina syndrome needs immediate diagnosis and treatment by a specialist in neurosurgery, neurology or orthopedic surgery. If you have sudden back pain, or any loss of feeling or control in your lower body, sudden incontinence or retention of urine, get emergency care right away. Failure to receive treatment can cause a number of serious problems, including permanent paralysis.

The cauda equina syndrome is when the cauda equina is severely compressed and leads to neurologic deficits.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

Could You Have a Stroke and Not Know It?
Every 40 seconds, someone in the US has a stroke, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Every four minutes, someone dies ...
Is it unhealthy if my mind always wanders?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
I would think it unusual if your mind didn't wander! If anything, you're perhaps ahead of the game b...
6 Worst Things You Can Do for Your Brain
6 Worst Things You Can Do for Your Brain6 Worst Things You Can Do for Your Brain6 Worst Things You Can Do for Your Brain6 Worst Things You Can Do for Your Brain
Plus, how to reverse bad habits and help boost brain health over the long haul.
What Is the Purpose of Restoring My Cellular Communication Pathway?