What increases my risk for Tourette syndrome?

Your risk of getting Tourette syndrome may be greater if you have a family history of the condition. The presence of other tic disorders in your family could also raise your risk. Also, three times more men than women have Tourette syndrome.

Scientists are studying the causes of and risk factors for Tourette syndrome (TS) in an effort to understand it better, and to find better ways to manage TS and to reduce the chances of a person having TS. Some studies have shown that the following factors might be associated with TS, but additional research is needed to better understand these associations: mother drinking alcohol or smoking during pregnancy, complications during birth, infection and low birthweight.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

To Learn More, Give Your Brain a Break
To Learn More, Give Your Brain a Break
The catchphrase Keep Calm and Carry On was commissioned in 1939 by the British Ministry of Information for a public safety poster. The country was bei...
Can my brain get tired?
Anybody who's spent a stressful day at the office or tried to juggle too many things in the same day...
If a hemispherectomy cures my seizures, can I stop medications immediately?
Dr. Aria Fallah, MDDr. Aria Fallah, MD
If a hemispherectomy cures your seizures, you should not stop medications immediately. It can take t...
Why Is Sitting At a Desk All Day Unhealthy?