What type of fungus caused the 2012 meningitis outbreak?

As of this writing, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are coordinating a multistate investigation of fungal meningitis among patients who received an epidural steroid injection with a potentially contaminated product. This form of meningitis is not contagious. Several of these patients also suffered strokes that are believed to have resulted from their infection.

As of October 10, 2012, the CDC’s fungal disease laboratory has confirmed the presence of the fungus Exserohilum in 10 people with meningitis and the fungus Aspergillus in one person with meningitis.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

News: High Blood Pressure Could Raise Brain Disease Risk
Hypertension and dementia are primary health concerns for those in later life. According to statistics released in 2018 by the American Heart Associat...
What are the risks of performing an anatomic hemispherectomy?
Dr. Aria Fallah, MDDr. Aria Fallah, MD
A main risk of performing an anatomic hemispherectomy is blood loss. Anatomic hemispherectomy involv...
What is the relationship between high IQ and vegetarianism?
Evidence shows that children with higher IQs are more likely to become vegetarians by age 42. This h...
What Is the Purpose of Restoring My Cellular Communication Pathway?