When is it necessary to seek professional help for a child’s tic?

There certainly are cases that need professional evaluation and treatment. Since a tic could be caused by a medical condition (I know of a case of "shoulder shrugging" that was triggered by an undiagnosed neck injury), always involve your child’s pediatrician in the process. If the tic does not go away over a period of 6-12 months, starts to interfere with school or social life, or is associated with other problems (obsessive/compulsive behavior, attention problems, etc.), get a thorough evaluation that includes medical/neurology, psychology/psychiatry, and educational consults.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

The Surprising Latest Study on Alcohol and Your Brain
You might drink a glass of wine each night for your heart and you wouldn’t be alone—many doctors would probably join you. For years, studies have sugg...
How is mental retardation diagnosed?
Doctors diagnose mental retardation using a combination of formal testing and observation. During ro...
What are some of the causes of numbness and tingling in extremities?
Nicholas D SuiteNicholas D Suite
Numbness and tingling are often warning symptoms that nerves are not working correctly. The causes o...
What Is the Purpose of Restoring My Cellular Communication Pathway?