How do I manage my Tourette syndrome on a daily basis?

Taking an active role in managing Tourette syndrome (TS) can be helpful in advocating for yourself or your child. To make important decisions, you need to know about TS, understand treatment and management options, and then make the best possible choices for your health or the health of your child. Having support and community resources can help increase your confidence or that of your child in managing TS, as well as enhance quality of life and assist in meeting the needs of other family members. If you are the parent of a child with TS, it might be helpful to talk with other parents who have a child with the same condition. Other parents probably have learned how to manage some of the same concerns you have, and often can give advice about good resources to help you meet your child’s needs. Similarly, if you are an adult with TS, talking to other adults with TS might be helpful. Remember that the choices for another family might not be best for your family, so it’s important to understand all options and discuss them with your healthcare providers.

You can manage Tourette syndrome by learning as much as you can about the disorder. Talk to your doctor about things you can do to manage your symptoms. Just as important, find a support group to help you learn to live fully and confidently, and remember that tics generally improve as you age. Make contact with others who have Tourette syndrome. If you suffer from depression or anxiety as a result of Tourette, see a psychotherapist for additional support.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

How to Tame Motion Sickness
How to Tame Motion Sickness
Believe it or not, when Apple released its iOS7 for iPhones the super-zoom function gave many users motion sickness. And boating, even on calm w...
If a hemispherectomy cures my seizures, can I stop medications immediately?
Dr. Aria Fallah, MDDr. Aria Fallah, MD
If a hemispherectomy cures your seizures, you should not stop medications immediately. It can take t...
What is functional and restorative neurosurgery?
Joshua B. Bederson, MDJoshua B. Bederson, MD
Typically, functional and restorative neurosurgery involves minimally invasive procedures perfor...
Can You Die from Parkinson's Disease?
Can You Die from Parkinson's Disease?