How common is fungal meningitis after epidural injections?

Epidural injections are generally very safe procedures, and complications are rare. Fungal meningitis is an extremely rare cause of meningitis overall, including after epidural injections. The type of epidural medication given to patients affected by the 2012 outbreak of fungal meningitis is not the same type of medication as that given to women during childbirth.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

Head Injuries Are More Serious Than You Think
It's becoming clear that the rough-and-tumble nature of football—with blows to the head week in and week out—can be hard on the buttery-soft brain. Bu...
What is Tourette syndrome?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
Tourette syndrome (TS) is a neurodevelopmental disorder that becomes evident in early childhood or a...
How is thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) diagnosed?
Dr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MDDr. Joshua I. Greenberg, MD
Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) is diagnosed by careful review of patient history and performing a co...
What Is the Purpose of Restoring My Cellular Communication Pathway?