If a hemispherectomy cures my seizures, can I stop medications immediately?

Dr. Aria Fallah, MD
Neurosurgeon

If a hemispherectomy cures your seizures, you should not stop medications immediately. It can take time for doctors to know if the surgery has been successful. Some doctors suggest waiting at least a year or two years after surgery to know if the surgery was extremely successful or not. At that point, decreasing the medication may be suggested.

Continue Learning about Brain and Nervous System

Protect Your Inner GPS for Better Brain Health
Often cited as the worst blunder in the history of college football, Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels picked up a fumble in the 1929 Rose Bowl and ran towards ...
What is mental retardation?
Mental retardation, also known as intellectual disability or MD/ID, is characterized by below averag...
What caused the 2012 fungal meningitis outbreak?
The CDC is investigating medications and products that are associated with this outbreak of meningit...
What Is the Purpose of Restoring My Cellular Communication Pathway?