What is thymus cancer?

Susie Whitworth
Nursing
The thymus gland is located just in front of and above the heart. It is divided into 2  lobes (halves) and has 3 layers. It plays an important role in the body's immune system by producing T lymphocytes (white blood cells), which help the body fight infection. There are 2 types of thymus cancer: thymonas and thymic carcinomas. These are both tumors that interfere with the ability of the thymus to fight infection. The prognosis for thymus cancer depends on the stage of cancer.

Continue Learning about Brain Cancer (Neurological Cancers)

Should I talk to my doctor about carcinoid syndrome symptoms?
If you have the symptoms of carcinoid syndrome you should definitely seek medical attention. First o...
How is laser ablation used to treat brain tumors?
Nader Pouratian, MDNader Pouratian, MD
Laser ablation technology gives doctors the ability to access and treat some very deep-seated tumors...
Why Family is Everything for Mob Wives’ Big Ang
How to Reduce Your Cell Phone Radiation Risk