Advertisement

What is a meningioma?

A meningioma is a tumor that arises from the meninges, the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. A meningioma does not grow from within the brain, but rather on the surface of the brain or spinal cord, pushing the brain away from it.

A meningioma is a tumor that arises from the covering of the brain. Meningiomas can occur anywhere along the covering of the brain. The risk at which a meningioma places a patient is highly dependent on where it is located. Between 80 and 85 percent of meningiomas are benign. Approximately 10 percent of them are atypical, meaning they have a higher chance of recurring despite complete surgical resection. The remaining 5 percent of meningiomas are called malignant meningiomas and can be quite aggressive.

Dr. Isaac Yang, MD
Neurosurgeon

A meningioma is a very common brain tumor. It occurs underneath the bone but above the brain and grows from the dura. Since the tumor grows from the meninges, it's a meningioma. It originates from the arachnoid cap cells, i.e., the cells between the brain and the bone. Meningiomas end up growing down into the brain, pushing the brain down.

Continue Learning about Brain Cancer (Neurological Cancers)

How is intensity module radiation therapy (IMRT) delivered in brain cancer?
Tania B. Kaprealian, MDTania B. Kaprealian, MD
Intensity module radiation therapy (IMRT) can be delivered multiple ways to treat a brain tumor. For...
More Answers
What kinds of rehabilitation might I need after brain cancer treatment?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Brain cancer creates tumors that can cause problems in whatever part of the brain they are located. ...
More Answers
Inside Big Ang’s Cancer Treatment
Inside Big Ang’s Cancer Treatment
Why Family is Everything for Mob Wives’ Big Ang
Why Family is Everything for Mob Wives’ Big Ang

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.