How is intensity module radiation therapy (IMRT) delivered in brain cancer?

Tania B. Kaprealian, MD
Radiation Oncology
Intensity module radiation therapy (IMRT) can be delivered multiple ways to treat a brain tumor. For example, 7-field IMRT has the beam come from seven different angles. Each beam can be weighted differently. There is also arc therapy, which uses partial or complete arcs to deliver the radiation to the tumor. Tomotherapy delivers the dose in 360 degrees around the target. 

To pick the best plan, doctors observe how well the dose they want hugs the tumor, and how little of a scatter dose there is in areas outside the tumor.

Continue Learning about Brain Cancer (Neurological Cancers)

Should I alter my lifestyle during brain cancer treatment?
If you quit smoking, eat right, exercise, and get proper rest, it can help you feel healthier during...
Are seizures a symptom of a glioma or metastasis?
Patricia Bartley DanielePatricia Bartley Daniele
Seizures, associated with a glioma or brain metastasis, are related to affected areas of the brain. ...
Inside Big Ang’s Cancer Treatment
Inside Big Ang’s Cancer Treatment
Staying Positive with Brain Cancer: Karen Paz's Story