How are brain aneurysms classified?

Brain aneurysms can be classified both by size and type.

Sizes are classed as small, large, and giant. Small is less than 11 millimeters, large is 11-25 millimeters, and giant is larger than 25 millimeters.

There are three types of aneurysms. The most common is saccular, also called a berry aneurysm. These small sacks of blood appear to have a neck or a stem that protrudes from the artery. The second type is a lateral aneurysm, which forms as a bulge along one side of an artery. The third type is fusiform, which is a bulge that causes all sides of an artery to bulge.

Continue Learning about Brain Aneurysms

How can I know about aneurysms in my brain?
Rafael Alexander OrtizRafael Alexander Ortiz
Brain aneurysms are usually asymptomatic (no symptoms). An aneurysm of the brain can rupture and cre...
How are cerebral aneurysms classified?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
There are three types of cerebral aneurysms. A saccular aneurysm is a rounded or pouch-like sac of b...
The Signs of a Ticking Time Bomb
The Signs of a Ticking Time Bomb
The Aneurysm Risks You Need to Know About