What happens when someone goes to the emergency room with an aneurysm?

Dr. Geoffrey P. Colby, MD
Neurosurgeon

When someone goes to the emergency room with an aneurysm and symptoms of a possible aneurysm rupture, a computed tomography (CT) scan is typically done. A CT is an excellent means for detecting blood that might have leaked out from an aneurysm. If leakage is evident, further testing is done to identify the location of the aneurysm, and treatment begins so that the aneurysm doesn't bleed again.

When a patient has had what appears to be the rupture of an aneurysm, is it bleeding at that moment in time? No, it's not. The aneurysm bleeds for a few seconds, then seals itself off. A clot forms at the top, closing the hole. In this case treatment is necessary to seal the aneurysm so that a second hemorrhage, which is almost invariably fatal, doesn't occur.

If the aneurysm did not seal itself off and the bleeding is ongoing and continuous, the patient is dead on arrival. That is universally a fatal event.

Continue Learning about Brain Aneurysms Treatment

Why aren’t all aneurysms treated with aneurysm coiling?
Dr. Geoffrey P. Colby, MDDr. Geoffrey P. Colby, MD
The shape of the aneurysm, its location, and the age and medical history of the patient are all fact...
Why are follow-up tests important after aneurysm coiling?
In some cases the aneurysm can't be filled with coils completely at the first operation. And in some...
Do I need to take medications if my aneurysm has been treated with a stent?
Patients who have a stent in their artery often have to be on a mild blood thinner (anti-platelet me...
What if the surgeon is unable to reach the aneurysm with coiling?
Coiling is a technique by which a catheter is introduced into the femoral artery in the leg, passed ...