Could exposure to bisphenol A (BPA) decrease my sperm quality?

BPA exposure may be linked to decreased sperm quality in men, according to a new study from the University of Michigan which found that exposure to bisphenol A, or BPA, may be linked to low levels of sperm in men.

BPA is a chemical compound commonly found in many of the products on store shelves today. The ubiquitous chemical has been found in everything from baby bottles to canned foods to store register receipts.

In the study, which was conducted at an infertility clinic in the Boston area, researchers collected urine and sperm samples from 190 men. About nine in 10 of the men had levels of BPA in their urine. This is apparently consistent with U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data on population exposure to the chemical.

According to the study, men who had the highest urinary concentrations of BPA had a 23 percent decline in sperm concentration and a 10 percent increase in sperm DNA damage. The study is ongoing and researchers are looking to recruit hundreds of more men to further examine the link between BPA and sperm quality.

This is just one more reason for all of us to avoid BPA...especially men who hope to have any chance to conceive a child in the future.

Continue Learning about BPA

The Science Behind BPA
The Science Behind BPA
Proponents of BPA (the ubiquitous chemical bisphenol-A) are fueling a science war. To counter the growing sentiment that BPA is harmful, chemical-indu...
How can I avoid phthalates and bisphenol A (BPA) in plastics?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
To avoid phthalates and bisphenol A (BPA): Do not microwave food/beverages in plastic.Do not micro...
How can I prevent exposure to phthalate and BPA from plastics?
Researchers are concerned about plastics because phthalates and bisphenol A (BPA) act in ways si...
What Are the Risks of Bisphenol A (BPA)?