What causes bowlegs?

Up until 24 to 36 months of age, most experts agree having bowlegs is normal. Bowlegs occur because of the folded position of the fetus in the womb. The condition usually resolves itself. If bowlegs last beyond the first couple years of life, there may be a variety of causes. These typically include:

• Blount's disease (abnormal shinbone growth)
  • An improperly healed bone fracture
  • Rickets (caused by a vitamin D deficiency)

Continue Learning about Bowlegs

Are there alternative treatments for bowlegs?
Bowlegs respond well to traditional treatments. Those methods include allowing the condition to self...
How do bowlegs affect the body?
As the name implies, someone with this condition has legs that curve or bow away from each other. Mo...
Should I talk to my doctor about my child's bowlegs?
Bowlegs are a normal condition in children up to the age of three. The condition usually resolves it...
What increases my child's risk of getting bowlegs?
The condition is normal in children up to age three, and typically occurs in the womb due to how the...