How do medications treat bowlegs?

If bowlegs do not correct themselves by the age of three or four, medical intervention may be recommended. Depending on the severity of the bowlegs, treatment options range from use of braces or other corrective devices to surgery. Medication typically is not used to treat this condition. An exception to this is rickets related bowlegs which is caused by a lack of vitamin D. Rickets is treated by adding vitamin D and calcium to the diet and increasing exposure to sunlight.

Continue Learning about Bowlegs

What are the treatment options for bowlegs?
For most children, bowlegs are normal and the condition will correct itself by the time children rea...
How can being bow-legged affect my child's health?
Bow-leggedness is a deformity that is often outgrown as the child with bow legs ages. In this video,...
What increases my child's risk of getting bowlegs?
The condition is normal in children up to age three, and typically occurs in the womb due to how the...
How are bowlegs diagnosed?
While lying down or standing, the child's legs and knees are examined by a doctor. The doctor uses a...