How do bowlegs affect the body?

As the name implies, someone with this condition has legs that curve or bow away from each other. Most experts agree this is a normal condition in children up to age three to four. Typically, this condition corrects itself. If it lasts longer, it can adversely affect the growth and development of a child's body, and treatment options, such as braces or surgery, would need to be considered. Without treatment, arthritis or deformity can occur.

Continue Learning about Bowlegs

What does it mean to be bow-legged?
Bowlegs are a condition in which, if standing with the feet and ankles together, the knees do not to...
Can bowlegs be prevented?
Up until 24 months of age, bowlegs are seen as part of normal development. Bowlegs start in the uter...
How do medications treat bowlegs?
If bowlegs do not correct themselves by the age of three or four, medical intervention may be recomm...
Should I talk to my doctor about my child's bowlegs?
Bowlegs are a normal condition in children up to the age of three. The condition usually resolves it...