Has a new type of Botox been approved by the FDA?

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

Dysport™ received approval from the FDA about year ago. Dysport™ is similar to Botox Cosmetic™ in that it softens lines and wrinkles by relaxing facial muscles. Dysport™ has been available in Europe for many years and we are delighted to have it as a treatment option for our cosmetic patients.   I served as an investigator on the clinical trial for Dysport™ and have had considerable experience with this product. In my experience, Dysport™ seems to take effect a little quicker than Botox Cosmetic™ and probably lasts at about the same amount of time. There are some differences in the dosing with Dysport™ and some variation in how the product diffuses in the skin.  For this reason, you need to make sure your dermatologist is trained on proper use.  Our patients have enjoyed having Dysport ™ as it is an excellent treatment option for softening frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines.

Continue Learning about Botox Injections

Why is Botox popular for removing wrinkles?
Heidi Waldorf, MDHeidi Waldorf, MD
Dermatologist Dr. Heidi Waldorf explains why Botox is a popular treatment for removing wrinkles....
How can I create a relaxed facial expression?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Follow these steps for a more relaxed facial expression:   Relax your face completely and close...
What Are Different Types of Botox?
What Are Different Types of Botox?
What Are Some Benefits of Botox?
What Are Some Benefits of Botox?