How is Botox used to treat excessive sweating?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
A very effective use of Botox recently approved by the FDA is the control of hyperhydrosis, which is excessive sweating of the hands, feet, and underarms. Excessive sweating is probably one of the least discussed problems even though the condition has had a huge impact on the lives of so many people. Most sufferers assume they are the only ones who “have it so bad” and that there is nothing to do about it so they rarely even bring it up to their doctors. The reason Botox was considered and tested for the purpose of treating excessive sweating is that the pathway through which Botox acts, as I mentioned, is completely understood. Scientists reviewed other organs and organ systems that utilize that pathway and experimented on ways to control hyperhydrosis, for possible side effects and adverse reactions. From this they were able to determine injection technique, which is how we make sure you get the drug only where you want it. They were also able to give a dose range that would give the best results with the fewest side effects. As a result they were able to present their data to the FDA and they received approval for the treatment of severe hyperhydrosis. This treatment has often led to life-changing improvements for many people who had been suffering for years in silence and embarrassment.

Continue Learning about Botox Injections

How can I create a relaxed facial expression?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Follow these steps for a more relaxed facial expression:   Relax your face completely and close...
How is Botox being used in medical care?
Robert T. Grant, MDRobert T. Grant, MD
I'm excited by advances in the applicability of neurotoxins like Botox -- as well as Dysport and...
What Are Some Benefits of Botox?
What Are Some Benefits of Botox?
Why Is Botox Popular for Removing Wrinkles?