Why should I nurture my child's healthy self-esteem?

Although it’s hard to measure low self-esteem in a scientific sense, studies show that it is a risk factor for suicide, suicide attempts, depression, teenage pregnancy, and eating disorders. Other factors may be present in all of these situations, but your child’s self-esteem may be the factor most controllable by you. For example, researchers have found that three factors contribute to an eating disorder: low self-esteem, media messages that thin is in and dieting to excess.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Boosting A School Age Child Self-Esteem

What is the best way to build my child's self-esteem?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover that not only helps your child recognize his personal talents but also b...
How can I help my child use positive self-talk?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A powerful way to help a child develop firmer self-beliefs is to teach positive self-talk. One o...
How can I help my child develop self-esteem?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
Here are some things that you can do to help your child feel empowered from the inside out: 1. ...
How Can I Help My Child Make Friends At School?