How should I help my child bounce back from failure?

Michele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover to nurture children's empathy.

Our children are hard-wired to feel for others but unless we find ways to nurture their empathy, it will lie dormant. So look for daily moments that can do so. Here are a few:

1. Pointing out people's facial expressions helps kids tune into people's feelings. "Did you notice Sally's sad face? Maybe you should ask her if she's okay."
   2. Whenever there's an opportunity ask one great question: How would you feel? Ask your child to think how the other person would feel if the roles were reversed. What does your friend need to feel better? So what will you do? Role playing also helps kids imagine the feelings of others.

You can find more behavior makeover tips in the book, No More Misbehavin' Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Boosting A School Age Child Self-Esteem

What easy changes at home can help my child’s self-esteem?
Low self-esteem sometimes is attributed to something as simple as lack of sleep. Enforce bedtimes wi...
How can I help my child develop a positive self-image?
Initiating conversations with your children let them know that you’re interested in their lives, res...
Can My Child or Teen Use Mindfulness to Deal with Low Self-Esteem?
How Can I Help My Child Make Friends At School?