How can I help my child use positive self-talk?

It's important to model being positive and it's also important to provide positive feedback to your child. Providing positive affirmations to your child when they do something positive in intent and in action will help them to have a positive outlook. 

It's also important for you to help guide your child during moment of perceived failure, loss or negativity because they will be down of themselves during these moments. Help your child to see the positive, talk positively and think about what they can do differently. 

Michele Borba
A powerful way to help a child develop firmer self-beliefs is to teach positive self-talk. One of the easiest teaching strategies is to model the strategy. Just be on the alert for some positive action you are proud of and then deliberately acknowledge your deed out loud so your child overhears. “I love how my recipe turned out.” Or: “I’m really glad I stuck to my exercise program. I lost five pounds!” At first you might feel a bit strange, but when you notice your child praising his own strengths a little more, you’ll quickly overcome any hesitancy.

Continue Learning about Boosting A School Age Child Self-Esteem

How should I praise my child to help boost self-esteem?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Everyone loves praise, and kids are no exception. But keep in mind that not every little accolad...
How can I help a girl find her leadership style?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Stress that there are different leadership styles. Girls need to learn that there are different ...
Can My Child or Teen Use Mindfulness to Deal with Low Self-Esteem?
How Can I Help My Child Make Friends At School?