Can exercise help improve my child's self-esteem?

Studies show that exercise has at least a short-term positive effect on self-esteem in children. When more than 1,800 children ages 3 to 20 were followed, those who exercised tested with higher self-esteem after 4 weeks. Exercise has physical benefits, too, of course, so activity is a win-win for your child. Your job may be to find an activity that interests your child and to provide transportation and perhaps sports equipment and uniforms. This may involve your effort, time, and expense, but the benefits can be tremendous.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Boosting A School Age Child Self-Esteem

How can I help my pre-teen develop healthy self-esteem?
The development of a healthy sense of self is a complex process that begins when children are infant...
How can I help my child develop self-esteem?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
Here are some things that you can do to help your child feel empowered from the inside out: 1. ...
How Can I Help My Child Make Friends At School?
Can My Child or Teen Use Mindfulness to Deal with Low Self-Esteem?