How effective is hormone therapy in protecting my bones?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Many studies have demonstrated that hormone therapy can hamper bone loss and boost bone density. The Postmenopausal Estrogen/Progestin Interventions (PEPI) trial found that women on hormone therapies gained bone density. Over a three-year period, the bone density of the women taking hormones rose, on average, 4% at the spine and 2% at the hip. But women who weren't taking hormones lost bone, to the tune of 1.8% at the spine and 1.7% at the hip.

The Women's Health Initiative found that two different types of hormone treatments -- estrogen-only and combined hormone therapy (estrogen and progestin) -- protected against hip fracture. The study of Prempro, the estrogen-and-progestin formula, established that this medication reduced the risk for hip fractures and spinal fractures by 34% each. Similarly, the estrogen-only formulation (Premarin) was effective in decreasing hip fracture.

Continue Learning about Healthy Bones, Joints & Muscles

Should I Take Supplements to Strengthen My Bones?
Odds are, you think of your skeleton as a fixed part of you—your body’s unchanging foundation. But really, over time, our bones are constantly buildin...
Why are knee joints so prone to wear out with aging?
Robert J. Otto, MDRobert J. Otto, MD
As we grow older, our joints normally experience wear and tear with everyday activities. It is simil...
Can I do physical therapy if my wrist is in a cast?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
In a cast, your wrist is immobile, but you can still move your fingers. Your doctor may even start t...
Healthy Muscles, Healthy Bones
Healthy Muscles, Healthy Bones