How does the foot develop as a child grows?

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
An infant or toddler's foot has an enviable amount of fat padding underneath it, partly to protect bones that are still forming. Indeed, the bones in a baby's foot are initially composed of cartilage, the same flexible substance that lines joints and is found in ears and noses. Some of the bones do not completely form until the late teens. As children grow and begin to walk, they develop an arch, and their feet strengthen. Feet are generally strong, supple, and problem-free through the third decade of life. This is why so many people in their 20s are able to dance the night away or run a 10-mile race without physical consequences or regrets.

Continue Learning about Healthy Bones, Joints & Muscles

Should I Take Supplements to Strengthen My Bones?
Odds are, you think of your skeleton as a fixed part of you—your body’s unchanging foundation. But really, over time, our bones are constantly buildin...
How does the foot work?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Each step you take involves the components of the foot working together in precisely timed harmo...
What causes bones to weaken?
If you're over 35, bones can become progressively weaker and more fragile. When bones are weak, they...
3 Steps to Treat and Prevent Osteoporosis