How does aging affect my muscles?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
As we age, we lose muscle quickly -- so building and maintaining your muscles is very important for staying strong. In this video, I will explain the best ways to maintain strong muscles as we get older. 
Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
According to a survey developed by Abbott Labs and the AGS Foundation for Health in Aging, nine out of 10 people think that feeling weaker is the worst part of aging. Despite this, many people are not taking the critical steps to ensure their more than 650 muscles remain strong and healthy. Clinical research shows that starting at age 40, we begin to lose 8 percent of our muscle mass per decade. This loss rises to 15 percent by our seventh decade, which can lead to weakness, falls, low energy, and fat accumulation.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Every year after age 25, our body's composition begins to shift quite dramatically. We gain, on average, about one pound of body weight each year and lose a third to a half pound of muscle. As a result, our resting metabolism decreases approximately 0.5 percent annually. So unless you downshift your caloric intake as your metabolism slows down, you'll experience frustrating weight gain, which can then inhibit optimal energy metabolism.

Although losing a fraction of muscle mass each year may seem minuscule, it adds up to be quite significant -- translating to about a 1 to 2 percent loss of strength each year. With this loss of muscle strength, we tend to spontaneously become less active because daily activities become more difficult and exhausting to perform. We, in effect, lose energy more easily just like an old car that hasn't been serviced in a while will use up more gas than a new, efficient model.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Healthy Bones, Joints & Muscles

5 Steps to Starting an Exercise Routine
5 Steps to Starting an Exercise Routine
Your doctor has probably suggested regular physical activity to help cut down on joint pain or flare-ups from arthritis. But where do you even begin? ...
How can I test the strength of my butt muscles?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To test the strength of your gluteal (butt) muscles, you'll need a partner, preferably a physical th...
How can I test my forearm rotation?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To test your forearm rotation, place your shoulder blades at about three inches from your spine and ...
Is Beer Good for Your Bones?
Is Beer Good for Your Bones?