What is the best age to build bone mass?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
The most crucial time in one’s life to build bone mass is during the teenage years. Bone is complex, living tissue, with our bodies breaking down old bone and building new bone. When we're children, more bone is built than removed, so our bones become larger and stronger. Our skeletons reach about 95% of their peak amount by age 20. Generally, bone mass peaks between ages 25 and 30; however, some women reach this peak before 20.

Continue Learning about Healthy Bones, Joints & Muscles

Should I Take Supplements to Strengthen My Bones?
Odds are, you think of your skeleton as a fixed part of you—your body’s unchanging foundation. But really, over time, our bones are constantly buildin...
How can I test my forearm rotation?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To test your forearm rotation, place your shoulder blades at about three inches from your spine and ...
How effective is hormone therapy in protecting my bones?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Many studies have demonstrated that hormone therapy can hamper bone loss and boost bone density....
What Are the Causes of Fatigue?
What Are the Causes of Fatigue?