Why aren't our bodies stronger than they are?

Our bodies can take some hits, but they're not perfect. We die or have a decreased quality of life because we knock our heads, or break our bones, or can't stop bleeding. The reason? It's one of those biological trade-offs. If it were necessary to preserve the species, evolution would have made sure that our bones were firm enough to survive a fall from a cliff, or our organs dense enough never to bleed out. But that would be as inefficient as a sleep-deprived college student.

If we had bones heavy enough to withstand falls and crashes, then we wouldn't be able to walk. If our skulls were so thick that we could survive hockey-puck assaults, our heads would be so heavy we'd have to carry them in backpacks. Not all that efficient, right? Evolution had no reason to overbuild us to the point where improvement in one area of biology would sacrifice other areas. For extreme resilience in our bodies, we'd give up our bodies' extreme flexibility and our lifestyles (no more Twister for you).
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Joint Health

What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?
How Common Is Fibromyalgia?
How Common Is Fibromyalgia?
Is Chiropractic Care Effective?
Is Chiropractic Care Effective?
Can Certain Foods Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms?