When should I call my doctor if I have a herniated lumbar disc?

You should call your doctor of you have a herniated lumbar disc if you have pain, weakness or dysfunction. Often, people do not present saying that they have a herniated lumbar disc. Rather, they present with an acute onset of back pain or leg pain. It is the pain, weakness or dysfunction that should prompt a call the doctor.

If you have a lumbar herniated disc, you should call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:

• back pain or neck pain that wakes you up at night
  • loss of bowel or bladder control with your pain
  • numbness, pins-and-needles tingling or weakness in your legs

The discs in the spine are composed of connective tissue that sits between the 24 vertebrae that comprise the spine. The discs act as cushions and shock absorbers between those bones. A herniated disc occurs when part or all of a disc slips or ruptures between the vertebrae in your spinal column, usually because of too much pressure on your back from, for example, bending and lifting something heavy. A lumbar herniated disc is a slipped or ruptured disc in your lower (lumbar) area of your spine.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Bad Habits That Cause Knee Pain: Are You Guilty of #3?
Don't let knee pain keep you from hiking up Machu Picchu, beating your friends in ping –pong or tennis, or even getting out of the chair to go (anywhe...
What is the musculoskeletal system?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The musculoskeletal system functions to support and protect the organs. It is the framework to w...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?